What is a Glebe?
A Glebe is a tract of land that belongs to a church parish and is used to maintain the church and its staff. The Abingdon Glebe was built circa 1725 in Gloucester County. It is located 4 miles in each direction from Ware Episcopal Church and Abingdon Episcopal Church. The priest served both churches.
A brief history of the Abingdon Glebe
After the Revolution, legislation was passed that removed Virginia’s glebes from the church of England. In 1802 the Abingdon Glebe was taken by Gloucester County and kept for use by the Peasley Free School. It was sold after 1870 with the proceeds going to the school system of Gloucester County. The Glebe house itself was allegedly operated as an ordinary by the county.
The house was later acquired by the Robins family. In 1902 it was bought by the Lamberth’s who largely restored the property and in 1950 added the current outbuildings. In 1970 the Abingdon Glebe house was placed on the register of Virginia Historic Landmarks. In the late 1980’s the Glebe was bought by the late William M. Ridick III, who continued restoration of the house and farm.
In 2006, the Abingdon Glebe had gone full circle. Upon his death, Mr. Riddick bequeathed the historic Glebe and land to St. James Anglican Church. The 65 acre property is still a working farm.
St. James Anglican Church
6124 Abingdon Glebe Lane
Gloucester, VA 23061
Fr. Kevin Sweeney